Grade II Listed
The former Poplar Public Library was designed in the Beaux-Arts style by Squire, Myers and Petch and built in 1904-5. Faced with white ashlar masonry, and featuring a balustraded parapet and giant engaged Ionic pillars between windows, it is a visually impressive building and an important local landmark in the Borough of Tower Hamlets.
Following the building ceasing to function as a library it was disused but, having secured a long leasehold at a peppercorn rent from the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, we were able to bring the building back into use as a ‘Seedbed Business Centre’. The project was completed in 2002, when the restored and converted building was assigned to Leaside Regeneration Ltd and six new live/work units at the rear of the building were sold on long sub-leaseholds to private owners. This project was also the first part of an overall regeneration programme in the Leaside area and demonstrates our ability to deliver social impact through heritage led regeneration.
To finance the project we applied for and secured grant aid from a number of sources, including the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), English Heritage, the Single Regeneration Budget (SRB), the Heritage of London Trust (HOLT) and the Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF). The AHF also provided a low interest project funding loan.
European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), English Heritage, the Single Regeneration Budget (SRB), the Heritage of London Trust (HOLT) and the Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF).
We’ll be in touch soon…